A CRIME ALERT has been posted to the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety's website http://bit.ly/gpUqGQ
Type of Alert:
Assisting Other Agency - Armed Robbery
Date and Time:
March 31, 2012 around 10:30 p.m.
300 Block of Main St
Sex: Two Males
Vehicle: Red Honda Accord
Suspect #1: Clothing: Red hat and red shirt
Suspect #2: Black hat and black shirt with short dreads
At approximately 10:30 p.m., a robbery occurred on Main St. in front of Swearingen. The suspects presented a weapon, struck the victim in the head and stole an iPod. The suspects fled on foot to a red Honda Accord which then left area westbound on Catawba St. The victim was not injured. The case is being investigated by the Columbia Police Department.
Members of the Carolina Community are encouraged to report suspicious persons or any related crime tips to law enforcement, or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC. To send anonymous tips via text or online, go to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com
- Travel on major sidewalks along major streets and avoid shortcuts. Well lit and well-traveled routes are best.
- The University has and encourages the use of several available shuttle services for transportation to and around campus such as the Evening Shuttle, Late Night Shuttle, APO, and others. Please go to http://www.sc.edu/vmps/shuttle.html for more information.
- Have a plan before going out. Make sure your friends know not to leave you alone or let you leave anywhere with someone other than the friends you came with. Stay in a group as much as possible.
- The best mode of travel is by vehicle but if you do choose to walk, travel in large groups and never alone. The larger the group of people you are with, the better (four or more is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Leave.
- If you feel unsafe or see suspicious activity or persons, seek safety in a well-populated area or building and call the police immediately by dialing 911.