Bursar's Office

Physical Location
516/518 Main Street
Between Blossom & Wheat St.
Columbia, South Carolina

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Telephone (803) 777-4233
Fax (803) 777-7953

Mailing Address
University of South Carolina
The Bursar's Office
516 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Expand All | Collapse All

When will the rates for the academic school year finalized?

The new Tuition and Fee Schedule is released in July at sc.edu/bursar.

Will I receive a bill in the mail?

No. Bills are available in Self Service Carolina (SSC) at my.sc.edu.

When does my bill have to be paid?

Class schedules may be cancelled for all students who do not pay their fees by the payment deadline.

Will the bill be for the entire year?

No, bills are available for the current semester (bills may include unpaid charges for previous semesters). Bills will be available in mid-July for the fall semester and mid-November for the spring semester.

How do I pay my bill?

The easiest way to pay your bill is through SSC which you can find by visiting my.sc.edu. On this site, you will be able to use the student's financial aid, e-check, credit or debit cards to safely and securely provide payment. A 2.5% convenience fee is applied for each credit or debit card transaction and there is no fee when paying by e-check. Please note that signing into SSC requires the student's VIP ID and password.

Students also have the option of setting up authorized users on their accounts. Authorized users can view and pay charges on a student's account. Please click here for instructions for setting up an authorized user.

Payments can be made in-person with cash, check or money order or by mail using the address below. Please check mail in deadlines here. Please make your check or money order payable to the University of South Carolina (USC) and mail to:

University of South Carolina
Bursar's Office
516 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208-0001

What if the student's Scholarship/Financial Aid is not shown on the bill?

Please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships at (803) 777-8134 for assistance. If you are a Transfer Student who has not received your financial aid awards, please contact us to discuss payment options.

Is there a payment plan available?

Yes, there is a four payment plan available for students which requires an initial payment of 25% of the balance due after all Financial Aid (Scholarships, Loans, Grants) has been applied, plus a $75 administrative fee. This is due at the time the student signs up for the payment plan. The remaining 3 installments are due over the next three (3) months. There is a late fee of $100 that will be applied if your payment is not made on time.

Payment plans can be set up on SSC. The payment plan covers tuition, housing, meal plans, and technology and program fees. Your monthly payment can be paid in person, mailed in to the Bursar's Office, or paid online on SSC at my.sc.edu. The payment plan does not carry over to the next semester. The student will need to enroll in the payment plan each semester. Contact the Bursar's Office for more information.

I have a 529 Savings Plan/Scholarship Check and will need to have the check mailed and applied toward my charges, where should I mail the check?

All Plans are different, so please check with your Plan Administrator on how funds are issued, length of time to disburse funds, etc. Once bills are available on SSC, please send a copy of your bill to your Plan Administrator immediately. Please have your 529 Savings Plan or Scholarship check mailed to the Bursar's Office at the below listed address by the payment deadline.

University of South Carolina
Bursar's Office
516 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208-0001

My student will be receiving funds from a Prepaid College Plan, where should I send this information so that the funds will be applied towards my student's bill?

Information regarding Prepaid College Plans can be submitted to Neet Hutto-James. She can be reached by email at HUTTOO@mailbox.sc.edu or by fax (803)777-0038.

My bill is not correct, what office should I contact?

If your bill is not correct you will need to contact the office that originated the charge
  • Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for award information
  • Contact the Office of South Carolina Residency for residency issues
  • Contact Housing for room charges
  • Contact Parking Services for parking charges
  • Contact Carolina Card Office for Carolina Cash and meal plans

My student is a part of the Academic Common Market (ACM), who should I contact if I have any questions?

If you have questions regarding ACM, please contact Meghan Fields at USC's Academic Common Market Institutional Coordinator's Office at (803) 777-0300 or fieldsmb@mailbox.sc.edu.

My account is paid in full but I now have a credit, how can I receive my Refund?

The fastest way to receive your refund is to set up direct deposit on SSC. After your refund has been processed on SSC it will be deposited into the checking account entered within 72 hours. If you have not set up direct deposit, you will receive a paper check in 7-10 business days. The paper check will be made payable to the student and mailed to the address on file.

I am a resident of South Carolina but my bill is showing the non-resident charge, who shall I contact?

All students who claimed South Carolina residency on their admissions application must submit the South Carolina Residency Certification Form on SSC in order to qualify for in-state tuition. The University of South Carolina is required by state law to determine the resident classification of all applicants interested in claiming South Carolina as their state of residence for the purpose of accurately assessing tuition and fees. Students who do not submit the residency certification will not be considered for in-state tuition. For additional questions please contact the Office of South Carolina Residency at (803) 777-4060 or at resident@mailbox.sc.edu.

I would like to use my VA Benefits, who is my point of contact at USC?

Please contact the Office of Veterans Services to assist you with any questions regarding your VA Benefits. You can view important information at www.sa.sc.edu/veterans. You may contact the office using the information below:

Office of Veterans Services
1244 Blossom Street, Suite 129
Columbia, SC 29208
Phone: (803) 777-5156
Fax: (803) 777-9076

Can I incur additional charges by dropping, adding or withdrawing from class(es)?

Depending on the dates you drop, add or withdraw from a class, there may be additional charges incurred as a result of these actions. Please check Important (W, WF, Refund, Withdrawal) Deadlines You Need to Know for the drop/add/withdrawal dates for every class you are registered for.

If I get dropped from my classes for nonpayment of tuition and fees, do I have to pay a fee to re-enroll into classes?

Effective Fall 2016, students will be charged a $75 Reinstatement (per occurrence) fee to re-enroll into classes after they have been dropped for nonpayment.

516/518 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29208 • 803-777-4233 • Fax: 803-777-7953
© University of South Carolina Board of Trustees