Instructions for Freshman Applicants
The freshman application for fall 2015 is now available! Review these steps to prepare for the application process, and be sure to check out our How To Apply Guide.
- Make sure to review application deadlines.
- Review required high school courses.
- Make sure to take the SAT or ACT in time to meet the credentials deadline. Please note that the last testing date that meets our February 1, 2015 credentials deadline is the December 2014 SAT or ACT. If you’ve already taken the SAT or ACT, keep your scores on hand. Finally, write down the dates you have taken or plan to take either test.
- Have all the materials you need on hand to complete the application.
- Copy of your transcript(s). You’ll need to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s). It’s fine if your transcript only lists your courses and grades through the end of your junior year. You’ll also be asked to complete a self-reported academic record, so have your senior year schedule available as well.
- Your SAT or ACT test scores, if you have already taken the test. If you haven't OR you're planning on taking the test again, tell us your test dates as well.
- Your guidance counselor email address and telephone number. We’ll send an electronic copy of the Counselor Evaluation Form to the email you list on the application.
- If you plan to apply to the South Carolina Honors College, have the names and emails of two recommenders handy. We’ll send an electronic copy of the SC Honors College recommendation form to the email addresses listed.
- Your personal statement. This is a required part of the application. You’ll respond to the following prompt: “Tell us something that you have not already told us in this application that will help us to better understand your potential for academic success as a college student.” The statement limit is 2000 characters, which is approximately 250 words.
To learn more about the self-reported academic record portion of the app, watch this video:
With more than 70 majors in 15 colleges, you can create the USC academic program that meets your needs.
Review the high school core courses and curriculum that will help prepare you for admission to the University of South Carolina....learn more
Your success in the admission process depends on meeting important USC deadlines....learn more
AP, IB Credit
Discover how to receive USC credit for Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses....learn more