In keeping with national best practices, and with the purposeful planning embodied in the President’s Carolina 2025 initiative, the Provost now requires pre-authorization for academic programs initiated or substantively revised at the University of South Carolina. The Provost will be evaluating all Requests for fit with the strategic priorities of Academic Affairs and of the institution.
Requests must be approved by the Provost before a college/school submits a proposal in the online APPS system for faculty governance approval.
When is Pre-Authorization required?
In order to launch a new academic degree program (including certificate of graduate study) or academic unit, faculty are first asked to complete a Program Pre-Authorization Request for Provost review.
Similarly, substantive changes to an existing degree program or academic unit will also require pre-faculty-governance completion of the Request form. The types of substantive changes subject to Pre-Authorization will include:
- Changes to CIP codes
- Raising a concentration to the level of a full degree
- Merging multiple degrees into one degree, possibly with concentrations
- Splitting one degree into two degrees
- Merging multiple academic units
- Moving or rearranging academic unit structures in ways that involve budget and tenure lines
- Offering a program at one or more new sites, domestic or international
- New dual degree programs
- New Centers and Institutes
- Changing an entity from an “Initiative” to a “Center” or “Institute”
Pre-Authorization will NOT be required for:
- Program or unit name changes, with little or no change in curriculum or structure
- Adding concentrations to an existing degree
- Changing degree type (ME to MS; BA to BFA; etc.)
The Academic Programs Office is charged with collecting the Request forms and facilitating communication between units and the Provost. Pre-Authorization Requests will be tracked to ensure a response is given within two weeks of submission.
Submissions should include a completed budget template [xlsx].
New Programs or Units
Revised Programs or Units