Skip to Content

Payroll Department


Find the forms you need for tax reporting purposes and get answers to some of the most common questions related to payroll tax withholdings at the University of South Carolina.

Tax Withholding Questions

How do I change my tax withholding allowances?

Tax withholding allowances may be changed by selecting the "Update W-4 Form" link in VIP under the Employment section. The change will go into effect on your next paycheck, unless that payroll for that upcoming paycheck has already been processed.  In that case, the change would go into effect on the next payroll.

I believe too much tax was taken out of my paycheck.

Call us at 803-777-4227 and we can explain the regulations used to determine your tax withholdings.

Why was so much federal income tax taken out of my supplemental check?

Supplemental pay is considered pay in addition to your regular wages and is subject to a flat tax rate as required by federal and state tax regulations. 

What is FICA?

FICA is the combination of Social Security tax and Medicare tax. All employees are subject to FICA taxes, unless an exception applies.

There are some exceptions for student employees who are working while they are enrolled, and other exceptions for international employees. 


Year-End Wage Forms

The Payroll Department issues the following important documents annually that you will need for filing your U.S. tax returns.