Skip to Content

International Student Services

J-2 Employment: Dependent Employment Authorization

How to Apply

If you are a J-2 dependent who wishes to apply for work authorization, you and the J-1 primary should make an appointment with an international student advisor to put together the application. The application is mailed to USCIS and takes approximately 60 to 90 days to be approved. You cannot work until you physically receive your work authorization card.

The application consists of the following:

  • A written statement from the J-2 dependent, with any supporting evidence (examples: Financial Guarantee/Proof of Funding, Proof of Health Insurance, etc), showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes (i.e. your earnings will not support the principal J-1). Here is an example letter that includes a helpful statement for requesting that the card be authorized to the end date on your DS-2019.
  • Complete Form I-765 [pdf] (provided by ISS to fill out at your appointment)
  • There is an application fee of $410 (for USCIS). Checks must include your personal address and be made out to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”.
  • Photocopies of the J-1 and J-2’s DS-2019s, Passports, Visas, Entry Stamps, and I-94s (bring original documents to ISS appointment and photocopies will be made)
  • 2 passport-style photos